In an effort to continue our fight against pollution in our local environments Clean Up The Lake will be launching monitoring programs of both Lake Tahoe and Donner Lake in 2022.
2021 Litter Clean Up Stats
Circumnavigated Clean Up Completed
or 72 miles
Total Weight of Litter Removed
Total Count of Litter Removed
Interesting Stats from the 72 mile cleanup:
- Plastic: 4,614 pieces & 1,924.92 lbs
- Rubber: 1,075 pieces & 3,334.60 lbs
- Metal: 8,153 pieces & 6,184.09 lbs
- Processed Wood: 643 pieces & 1,313 lbs
- Glass/Ceramic Removed: 5,252 pieces & 2,304.02 lbs
- Clothing Removed: 202 pieces & 183.39 lbs
- Aluminum Cans Removed: 4,527 pieces & 486.87 lbs
- Tires Removed: 171 pieces & 2,858.76 lbs
2020 Trash Clean Up Stats
LAKE TAHOE - NDSL/NDEP Nevada Shoreline Clean Up
- Miles completed: 6 miles
- Total Weight of Trash Removed: 2,238 lbs
- Total Count of Trash Removed: 3,607 pieces
- Cans Removed: 1,968
- Tires Removed: 6
- Circumnavigated Clean Up Completed: 100% or 8 miles
- Total Weight of Trash Removed: 5,151.5 lbs
- Tires Removed: 101
- Cans Removed: 1,124
2020 LAKE TAHOE SIX MILE CLEAN UP
Our mission is to fight back against plastic and all forms of pollution in our global environment, both on land and under the surface, starting with Lake Tahoe and the Cayes in Belize.
CLEAN UP THE LAKE ANNUAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- 501(C)3 NPO ACHIEVED: July 6th, 2018 legally titled “Clean Up The Cayes”
- STATE INCORPORATION: Charity registrations in WA and CA states achieved.
- GROUND CLEAN UPS: 2x Clean Ups in Kings Beach, 1 x Belize Test Clean Ups
- INTERNATIONAL WORK: Research trip to Belize taken in order to begin staging future operations & network in the community
- NV STATE INCORPORATION: registered & approved in Nevada as a charity.
- SURVEY CLEAN UPS: Five survey dives in June through September 2019, researching the submerged litter issue in Lake Tahoe
- FIRST LARGE CLEAN UP EVENT: Volunteer divers removed 311 LBS near Secret Beach, confirming the underwater trash issue in Lake Tahoe.
- 72 MILE CLEAN UP ANNOUNCED: We announced to the world our intentions to complete the 72 mile clean up of Lake Tahoe.
- 6 MILES OF LAKE TAHOE SCUBA CLEAN UP: Funded by NV Division of State Lands & NV Department of Environmental Protection & the EPA, Clean Up The Lake Dive teams removed 2,238 LBS of trash from NV’s most popular shorelines of Lake Tahoe.
- CLEAN UP BINGO: Dozens of families and volunteers came together during COVID 19 for a safe, socially distanced clean up program that spread far and wide on social media to the press, including giveaways incentivizing them to clean from Lake Tahoe to rural Nevada.
- DONNER LAKE CLEAN UP: Our first ever circumnavigated clean up occurred at Donner Lake this summer, accomplishing all 8 miles of shoreline and removing 5,151.5 LBS of submerged litter.
- CLEAN UP STRATEGY: A summer of testing our approach to CLEAN UPS resulted in a tried and proven strategy for underwater SCUBA clean ups & surface support teams
- DIVER TRAINING: Key personnel within the organization advanced through Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, Emergency Oxygen & Emergency First Responder Training programs with PADI.
- 72 MILE CAMPAIGN: We partnered with Tahoe Blue Vodka & Tahoe Fund to raise the majority of the funding needed for 2021’s 72 mile clean up.
2021 GOALS BY YEARS END
- 72 MILE CLEAN UP: Complete Lake Tahoe 0-25 feet zone of clean up all around the lake.
- CITIZEN SCIENCE PROGRAM: Launch our own assets for citizen science and trash reporting. The backend is completed, partnership in progress, our announcement is coming soon!
- AQUIRE CUTL VESSEL: Planning on getting our own CUTL boat for the 72 mile clean up and further work.
- WHITE PAPER ON SCUBA CLEAN UP: a white paper/research and information to be released about our submerged litter findings on the 6 mile clean up of Lake Tahoe.
- GPS HOT SPOT LOCATIONS: By the end of the year we hope to announce publicly the GPS locations of hot spots for trash under the surface of Lake Tahoe so other divers can remove trash & make a difference.
- + Other Announcements Yet to be Made Public!